Saturday, August 22, 2009

Was it worth it?

The kids and I went camping on the Base last night. It was super hot. At first I thought of setting up the tent near the car as we were by ourselves. So we set it up but it was blazing so I had us drag it and everything else over to a shady but bumpy spot. Who cares right? At least we are in the shade. Our tent will be cool at night, we can sit in the shade.

They had a bazillion, and I mean a bazillion little plastic balls all over the area. No one was sure what they were for but after awhile they started disappearing. So we grabbed a few too. I saw one girl carry a shirt full several times to her tent. I am sure she left with about 50 of them. Turns out they were there for us to all play with and keep. Cute idea. We had a bouncy castle that they jumped on and a play ground right next to it so it was back and forth from one to the other.Butterbean found a marker in the car and colored her lips, teeth, and pants on the way there. Seriously?Here we are all trying to set up the tent together. It is a super easy tent to set up but even easier with just yourself.They had crafts for the kids. They made these cute hats and painted them. It was a cute idea and I was amazed at some of the hats they made. I want to do this at home now as a craft someday. Butterball did not have the patience for it but Butterbean loved hers.Appleseed sat on the grass while the kids played and ate grass. Mmmmmmm, yum.For dinner they provided hot dogs, chips, water, and ice cream bars. My kids loved it. Appleseed ate an entire hot dog himself. Don't worry I broke it into small bites and fed them one by one.Then they had smores over a bonfire that my kids opted not to go to. And later they showed a movie, Charlotte's Web, and had popcorn and gave out glow sticks. Then they feed you breakfast at a ridiculous time of the morning. The sun was not even up yet. But they had a ton and of course the kids love those sugar cereals as they don't get them at home so they were excited. And to beat it all, it was all free.During dinner they had some music playing so Butterball was up dancing and singing and then Butterbean got in on the action. Sorry that it is sideways. Didn't realize that.
So to wrap it up, was it worth it? We never did sit in the shade and enjoy it by our tent. When the movie ends at 11pm you don't have to worry about your tent being warm from the sun or not. I forgot they didn't provide drinks, they did provide Coke with caffeine for dinner, and had forgot to bring my own. I found a huge multiple drinking fountain later that had plasitc cups on it but had cute little girsl filling them all up for people. I am sorry but I just kept seeing germs as they weren't assigned to do it but doing it out of the goodness of their heart. Thank goodness for my emergency water I keep in the car so that we could refill that too. Having just a few bathrooms for 50 million people is a joke. They get super dirty and you are always in a line. OK, not 50 million but a ton! At bed time you had some really nice parents who let their kids stay up later and play around. And you know the shade I wanted? Right next to the pavilion and they had the lights on till about 11:30pm so it was super bright in our tent. Even after the lights were put out the naughty noisy kids outside had fun playing with who knows what and making all kinds of noise. Then to have more kids be noisy in the morning so that they wake up your monsters before you or they are ready to be. Am I tired? You bet! Have my kids been tired, whiny, grumpy, and just play wild today? You bet! So worth it? YOU BET!!!! Would I do it again? In a heart beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment